What is Voki?
Voki is an educational tool that allows users to create their very own talking character.
Voki characters can be customised and you can give your Voki a voice by recording with a microphone, or by using the text to voice option. Voki characters can be emailed, shared on social media, and embedded on websites!
The activity ... What do I have to do for this Skill Snack?
1. Watch the Voki Introduction video at the top of this page.
2. Click here to go to the Voki website.
3. Click on the "Create" tab at the top left of the Voki page.
4. Start creating your avatar. Refer to the video at the top of this Skill Snack page if you require assistance.
5. Your Voki must be a customised avatar (eg, you need to change hair colour, background, accessories etc), and it must have a voice. You can either record your voice using your computer's microphone, or you can choose to type the text and select a computer generated voice for your avatar. Note: your recording is limited to approcimately 60 seconds.
6. When you are finished creating your avatar and you have given it a voice, click on Publish. Type a title for your Voki and click on Save. If prompted to sign up for an account, choose the option to continue without an account.
7. When your Voki has been published, you will be presented with a window that provides a paermalink for your Voki. Copy the whole permalink, and paste it into the Task Submission Form on the right side of this Skill Snack window. It will look similar to http://www.voki.com/pickup.php?scid+9659404&height=267&width=200 . Note: If you intent to use this voki for an activity, you will need to save this link in a safe place, as you have created this voki without an account. If you close this window before copying the code, it is almost impossible to get that code back.
8. Complete the remainder of the task submission form on the right side of this Skill Snack window.
12. If you have a Gate21 / MNLive Virtual Classroom, have a go at pasting the permalink code for your Voki into your Links webpart to share it with your students. Voki also provides you with an embed code for your talking avatar, so you might choose to embed your Voki into your Virtual Classroom.