What is Toondoo?
ToonDoo is fast, easy way to create comic strips. There are a number of functions that allow you to create, personalize, and publish your comics.
The activity ... What do I have to do for this Skill Snack?
1. Click here to view a ToonDoo Help Guide or
watch the above ToonDoo tutorial video.
2. Click here to go to the ToonDoo website.
3. Sign-up for a Toondoo Account by clicking on "Sign up for free" in the top right corner of the Toondoo website. When the next window pops up, click on "Signup for Toondoo" (it is the option on the right side of the window). Note - you will need to take note of your username and password, as you use these to login, not your email address.
4. Once you are signed in, click on Create. This will open the option to choose the layout for your comic. Note: your comic must have at least two panels. Choose carefully, because this option cannot be changed once you start creating. It is a good idea to plan how many panels you will need in your layout before choosing this option.
5. START CREATING! Your ToonDoo should have the following:
a) at least 2 panels
b) at least two backgrounds
b) at least two characters
c) at least two speech bubbles
6. When you have finished creating your comic, click on the main menu icon at the top of the Toondoo window (next to the characters icon), and choose Save As. Give your comic an appropriate title (no need to add a description of tags). I suggest that you untick "Let others redo" and "Allow others to purchase this toon". Ensure you keep "Publish to the World" chosen so that I can see your comic. You will not be given acknowledgement of completion if I can't see it. When you have checked all options, click on Publish.
7. When your comic is saved, a window will pop-up. Click on "GoTo Page". Hint: If you click on the incorrect option and your comic disappears, you can find all of your comics by clicking on the Toons tab, and choosing My ToonDoos from the dropdown list.
8. Copy the URL address for your comic. It is located in the address bar at the top of your browser. It will look similar to http://www.toondoo.com/cartoon/7361134
9. Paste this URL in the Task Submission Form on the right side of this Skill Snack window.
10. Complete the remainder of the task submission form on the right side of this Skill Snack window.
12. If you have a Gate21 / MNLive Virtual Classroom, have a go at pasting the url address for your Toondoo URL (eg http://www.toondoo.com/cartoon/7361134) into your Links webpart to share it with your students. Alteratively, Toondoo provides you with an embed code for your comic, so you could have a go at embedding your comic into your Virtual Classroom.