What is Poll Everywhere?
Poll Everywhere is a simple application that works well for classrooms using mobile devices like mobile phones, tablets or laptops. People participate by visiting a fast mobile-friendly web page or sending text messages. Instructions are displayed on-screen. The poll that is embedded within the presentation or web page will update in real time.
The activity ... What do I have to do for this Skill Snack?
1. Click here to sign-up for a Poll Everywhere account. Make sure you choose "I am an Educator" when signing-up, as Poll Everywhere periodically add new educator features to their site.
2. Click here to visit the Poll Everywhere User Guide.
3. Click on "My Polls" (top right corner of Poll Everywhere window).
4. Click on "Create Poll".
5. Type your question into the text box. Once you start typing into the text box, more options will appear unser your question. You can either choose "Open ended" or "Multiple Choice". Choose the best option for your type of question.
6. When you are finished typing in your question and choosing the options for type of answer, click on "Create" at the bottom of the options. This will open your poll in a new view.
7. At the top right of the Poll Everywhere window, you will see an announcement for "Introducing Push". Click on the link "PollEv page" inside this announcement to set-up your PollEv page. This is a necessary step if you would like students to be able to vote using their tablets or laptop devices. Follow the steps to set up this page.
8. Have a go at starting and stopping your poll. The students will only be able to see your poll on your PollEv page when you start the poll. When you clikc on stop, it will take the poll off your PollEv page.
9. On the right side of the window, click on "Share and Publish" and then click on "Live Chart Link".
10. Copy the link that appears in a pop-up window (right click > Copy or Ctrl+C) and paste it into the task submission form on the right side of this Skill Snack window.
11. Complete the remainder of the task submission form on the right side of this Skill Snack window.
12. If you have a Gate21 / MNLive Virtual Classroom, have a go at pasting the url address for your PollEv page (eg http://pollev/csolt) into your Links webpart to share it with your students. You will need make sure you press start so that the students will see the poll on your PollEv page. Once the students have opened the PollEv page, they can simply type their answer and it will appear on your presenters screen (using your login). When all of the students have added their answer, you should click on stop. You will use the same PollEv address for all of your polls. The only poll that the students will see is the one that you start.