What is Mindmeister?
Mind mapping is a visual form of note taking that offers an overview of a topic and its complex information, allowing students to comprehend, create new ideas and build connections. Through the use of colors, images and words, mind mapping encourages students to begin with a central idea and expand outward to more in-depth sub-topics.
MindMeister is a tool that allows to collaboratively create mind maps and share them online. It can be used for real-time collaboration and brainstorming sessions. Users can create, manage and share mind maps online and access them anytime, from anywhere.
The Activity ... What do I have to do for this Skill Snack?
1. Click here to watch Mindmeister tutorials to help you get started.
2. Click here to view a Mindmeister Help document.
3. Click here to create a new account. If you use this link, you will be signing up for a BASIC account, that allows you only three free mind-maps at any one time. You should not be asked to enter your credit card details for this BASIC account. If you are asked to enter your credit card details, please view the Mindmeister Support page for help. When you sign up for the BASIC account, you can use your CSO email address, and make sure you verify your account by clicking on the link in the email that Mindmeister will send to you.
4. Create a new mind map by clicking on "New Mind Map" at the top of the Mindmeister screen.
5. Create a mind map that you can use in your classroom.
6. When you are finished creating your mind map, click on the information button on the bottom left side of the Mindmeister screen.
7. From the pop-up menu, click on the Export option.
8. Choose PDF from the dropdown options, and click on Export.
9. Open your PDF mind map to check that it is all included on the page.
10. Click on File > Save As > PDF, and save your file to your desktop or another library that you can access easily.
11. Complete the Task Submission on the right side of this Skill Snack screen, making sure that you upload your PDF file of your mind map into the appropriate section on the Task Submission form.